Franchises in general are a safe way to start a business. Why? Because in most cases they have built a proven business model that works and is in most cases, duplicatable and through strategic marketing have created a good name for their brand. They have also put systems in place that show you step by step on how to operate that business(even if you have no experience whatsoever). Most Franchises have support teams in place to help you get started and they have everything from Operations Manuals, to Human Resources Manuals to Local Marketing Manuals, and more.
Now if you happen to be that lucky person or business(small percentage 5%) that happens to get a great location for that franchise company, you will get off to a fast start and create a successful business right out of the gate. Another fast start out of the gate (with proper marketing) would be if you happen to be the first to provide that new service or product in your area (where the want is great for those services or products).
The problem is in most cases, whether you get off to a fast start or not, most franchisees after a year or so and sometimes sooner tend to trend downward in sales. I have even seen franchises start a downward turn after 3 or 4 years of successful increases and never return to those great sales they use to have. The following are questions many Franchisees begin to ask themselves:
- What is wrong?
- Is it the Franchise Corporation itself? They don’t support me enough! They don’t do enough Marketing! They don’t understand our culture here!
- Is it my people? Do I need to change my Managers?(By the way these are great questions ask yourself, but many times if you are finding yourself changing your team frequently, guess what, they are not the problem)
- Is there more competition? (This is also another great question, but your real competition should be yourself)
- Is it my Location?
- and many more………..
The biggest question most Franchisees forget to ask: Is it me?? The biggest obstacle old and new franchisees face happens to be in the area of Leadership. Which happens to effect every area of your business, more importantly it effects your bottom line more than most Leaders can even imagine or want to understand. You may have the systems in place from the franchise, but the culture is created by the owners and the Leaders of that Organization. I have even seen franchises who have some decent results financially have terrible cultures and not even be aware of it. They could have more than decent results, they can turn themselves into a Good to Great company. Just by creating a different culture of Leadership.
Corporate Franchise companies have fail the Franchisee in this area, The area of Leadership! They teach you the systems but they fail to teach you how to lead your people. How to develop your people..How to actually look for great people. The franchisor will throw you more systems in place to hire people. Which in effect help you to hire people but do not help you to teach how to Lead. Many Franchise Corporations struggle internally with their own leadership and their own cultures. They try to help you by giving you cliches like Hire Eagles not Ducks. Well this could be a problem if you have no idea on how to tell the difference between an Eagle and a Duck and believe me many do not. And there is only one Way to find Eagles, you yourself must be one. I can continue on this topic on how to find Eagles because I have developed many and continue to find and develop Eagles and would share with you more on that another day.
So why do many Franchisees have a problem of asking the very question: “Is it me and the culture I am creating that is effecting my very business?” (By the way a Great Question for All Leaders who are struggling in their business or organization to Ask!) HERE WE GO…BE OPEN TO THIS AND YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS CAN START TO TRANSFORM…..
- The owner doesn’t have an idea of how to gage this.
- Ego!!! They have some success already in their lives and their Ego gets in the way of True Success!!!…”My People respond to me and do what I ask and always are working hard for me!”….(The fact is..you are the owner and that’s what all normal people do….doesn’t mean you are a great Leader that creates true influence with your people. They might work when you or your management team is around but are they taking ownership when you or your team is not around! Are they going the extra mile for the company…to help you build your business) Great Leadership creates that!
- “The Franchise Company provides me with all the support I need”. They provide you with the systems to run their program…what they don’t supply you with is the skills of Leadership….which thankfully can be learned by those who truly want to make a difference.
- The owner or company might have won some awards from the company and now feel that they don’t need to look inward…these are usually the hardest people to convince that they might have some company culture issues. The truth is..Franchise Corporations that are struggling can give Franchisees a false feeling of being great when in fact they are great in a company that could be very mediocre or worst….So they themselves might truly limit the true Sales capacity of that Franchisee because they themselves do not know what it is to be a great company. So you end up having a Franchisee who eventually will struggle.
- The Owners have a hard time reflecting on themselves….
The great news is that you can transform yourself and your company and that it is never too late. The first step in this process: is to be completely open to suggestions and not to take anything personal…This is the hardest part for owners of Franchises..but if you are open to transformation you will see an Increase in Sales, Increase in Profits, an environment that promotes Leadership as well as personal development and with consistency and persist-ency to continue the process…..a company that will go from one level to another and eventually…from Good to Great…All depends in where you are at in the process…
So if you are struggling to hit your projected sales or projected profits or you are truly struggling in your business and do not want to give up…or you are struggling with people issues or…You need help to rebuild your reputation as a company. We Can help you transform you and your company….Our Goal is nothing short of getting you results and adding value to all we come in contact with..Email me us at Coach@optimizedmarketingstrategies.com or call and ask for Coach at 888-224-2673(USA), 507- 270-2396 (Panama) Doesn’t matter where you are in the world. .Leadership is Leadership!!!